The Tutoring & Academic Success Center provides a variety of services that support student academic development. Our services support students as they practice skills and habits for academic success, learn with and from their peers, and reflect on their ongoing development as scholars. Through partnerships with faculty and staff, our work promotes a culture that responds to students’ needs and affirms each student’s ability to achieve their goals.
This mission is achieved through
- Peer-led services to help students learn from and with other students
- One to one academic success coaching to prepare lifelong learners for our multicultural world
- Credit coursework created to develop academic and life-long learning skills
- Partnerships with faculty and staff to develop and support success initiatives and programs
- Accessible online resources for students, staff, and faculty
- Creating data-informed programs, initiatives, and interventions to support student growth & development
We believe in all students’ potential to reach their academic goals. Through our success services we support the holistic development of student life-skills, and provide resources to aid them now and in the future.
We seek to create a supportive and respectful space where each student can bring their unique strengths, and intersectional identities to the learning process.
Growth & Transformation
We value innovation and creativity in our daily work. We examine our institutional policies, procedures, and practices through an equity mindset and take action where change is needed.
Hope & Resilience
We strive to develop and strengthen student's hope and resilience they pursue their academic goals.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
The following provides focus for our work in advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) priorities.
Programming, Evaluation, Change
- Liaison with key campus partners to support student programming, referrals, training, and opportunities for staff development.
- Evaluate accessibility to services for underrepresented student groups.
- Continue service surveys to identify what is working and where change is needed.
- Identify barriers and challenges for students and determine resources needed to implement changes.
- Advocate for practice, procedure or policy change.
- Participate on campus-wide committees to represent the services provided by the academic success centers.
Hiring, Training, & Professional Development
- Support training opportunities for all staff to continue to grow in DEI and practices.
- Follow inclusive selection process utilizing the steps provided by Human Resources
- Incorporate DEI training in student staff onboarding, and meetings.
Outreach, Communication & Resources
- Conduct regular review of marketing material ( website, social media, printed materials, etc.) using Universal Design principles and a DEI lens to ensure access to information as well as representation.
- Evaluate new ways to highlight student success stories from a variety of backgrounds.